Skip to main content

Jumpies!

Banner has been in a pretty weird funk for the last few weeks it seems. Our winter schedule is always a little lighter since I don't board anymore and therefore don't have an indoor arena. He's on a 2-4 day a week schedule depending on the weather, arena ride-ability & light. Our summer schedule is generally 5-7 days a week, so definitely a big difference! I'm not totally sure what's up with him, but I'm feeling a touch lost about it and a bit frustrated, so we are back to the mega basics for a few rides to see if I can get my happy lil pony back! I'm hoping he is just a little burned out on the tough stuff we have been working on & some light work will return him to his unicorn status. 


With the days getting longer though, I've found myself with a little extra time now that my rides with Banner have been short & sweet. Its been perfect timing for continuing to bring Charms back into work. I've been trying to hit a lesson with him for the last few weeks but the stars just haven't aligned for that to work out yet. I've managed to maintain a good 3 days a week with him for the last few weeks (although sometimes it's just been lunging instead of riding) and I'm pretty thrilled about how he's feeling. 


I'm working on having a soft connection with him so he maintains a softer mouth as I bring him back & so far its been working really well! We have established a solid walk/trot/canter again both ways (although hes definitely stiffer to the right, which unfortunately is my bad way too) & are getting some lovely moments in all the gaits. Bringing him back is reminding me of so many memories with him and I'm loving it. I'm not really sure how to describe it in a way that really makes sense, but getting back on Charmer always feels like "home". I just know his tack & his gaits & his quirks like they're a part of me. 


Yesterday I decided to step it up a notch and bring some jumps back into the mix! We started off with a pole obviously and he was comically bored by it. When we cantered the pole I had a moment where I expected him to do something dumb & stopped supporting him and he broke to the trot like the perfect child that he is. I get all in my head about jumping in general, but for some reason with Charmer its worse (probably partly because his bascule jumps me out of the tack 80% of the time). I finally laughed it off, got my head screwed on straight & jumped him like I know what I'm doing and he was a super good kiddo. 


We started off with a teeny crossrail and he was great! Slightly awkward over some of the jumps because we were trotting them and they were so little, but he was quiet and an appropriate amount of forward for the fences. Raised it to a slightly bigger crossrail and he was fantastic to the left, but got a bit more strung out/wild to the right. Our neighbors horse came over to observe & he was distracted (he could see her going right but not going left) and it is naturally already his worse direction (stiff in his right hip). Managed to settle him down enough for one final good jump after a few slightly extra excited ones going to the right, and ended on a lovely jump back to the left.

Large BOING for little crossrail

There is one more show of our winter series on March 14th & I'm tentatively hoping to bring both of the kids to that. I need to get Charmer back up to jumping about 2'3" in order to take him (that's the height that the morning classes start) & I need Banner to get out of his weird funk of just randomly being a jerk for no real reason at all. Both of those things are definitely feasible goals if I can get my life together enough to really pursue them. 


Hopefully I'll keep up on blogging (one of my goals for this year!) & keep you guys posted on if I get Charmer back up to height & Banner back to normal soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saddle Woes & Jumping Ponies

I'm definitely still in a bit of a weird headspace, and obviously still not getting back to real consistency on the blog just yet, but hey, some posts are better than none, right? I'm not exaggerating when I say this canter is an actual dream to ride. All 3 ponies got chiropractic work from my vet a week and a half ago, and she confirmed a fear for me regarding Banner - his lovely Devoucoux saddle doesn't fit. Awesome. Its hitting his scapula, and even with quite a few weeks out of the saddle recently, he still had a lot of residual soreness along his scapula. Luckily I haven't been able to ride 3 ponies lately anyways, so he was on the backburner regardless so it doesn't change much in our immediate plans, but its never fun to know you have to sell a saddle/change plans.  My CWD on V (usually using a half pad, but was testing the fit without) I've got a few different ideas on what I plan to do with selling his current saddle/what I plan to replace it with. I

The Best Horse in All the Lands

Here's the post about my main man, Charmer, from the weekend with my trainer!! I'll go ahead and spoil the ending right now - he is perfect and I don't deserve him.  After where I left off with V (end of yesterday's post) I felt really disheartened when I climbed into the tack on Charmer. He's not exactly known for being the easiest  ride on XC and I sort of mentally was beating myself into a pulp for no good reason. After a good number of comments regarding my leg/balance on V, I was just really feeling like I sucked and had no business being out there. It didn't help that this year has been a complete crapshoot for me and XC and this was only my third time out on Charmer all year.  I halfheartedly warmed him up while thinking we might just not even jump anything. He came out his good ol' dragon self and I was thinking "I don't even have the energy to manage him right now, and I don't deserve to be here anyways". It wasn't a great head

Winter Sucks

 Well. I fell off the grid for like 4 whole months. Whoops. The sad part? Basically nothing all that exciting has happened in FOUR MONTHS. I'm dying y'all. Okay, technically a few semi-fun things have happened, but it has seriously been the dumbest freaking end of fall/winter ever.  Like the day after Christmas, we got snow...and then more...and then more. For reference, I live in the Boise area in Idaho, where yes, we do get snow, but like...a couple inches at a time max , and it usually melts within a few days. And this time, we seriously got probably 8"+ in the span of like 36 hours. Which was so prettty . For like a moment. But now it is freakin February 1st, and I STILL HAVE 2" OF SNOW IN MY ARENA . Because we basically haven't gotten above like 38* since it snowed, which hasn't allowed anything to fully thaw out. Soooo, I haven't ridden since sometime in December. And I'm big-time cranky about it (sorry to literally anyone who has to talk to me b