Skip to main content

Karen O'Connor Clinic

So, as you may have gathered from the title, I did in fact make it to the Karen O'Connor clinic this past weekend (yes I'm very late on this post...we just won't talk about that). Spoiler alert, it was amazing.

Epic water shot
(I've always wanted one of these)

Day one was SJ work. We were in the BN group, and Banner was wonderfully bored with everything we did.


Karen honed in really quickly on what everyone needed to work on, and we were no exception. Her first, and biggest note for me was that I need to get the impulsion from Banner sooner, but be a better manager, because he can quickly go from impulsion to impulsive. 


Banner and I only did each exercise once, which can easily feel like you got overlooked, but I know from watching Karen several other times, that if you only do it one time, that means you did it right. I felt like we got some good notes and work, and I honestly felt awfully proud & happy that she didn't feel the need to drill us through the exercises.


Karen was just as amazing to ride with as I always thought she would be, and she actually was way less scary than I feared. As long as you take her advice and notes and work on them, she really won't yell at you (too much) and is fairly complimentary as long as you just take her advice. The only people I saw truly get drilled through an exercise, or yelled at, were the people that kept doing it the same way and expecting different results. Once they took her advice, all of a sudden, things changed and she would give them a break!


Day two was CROSS COUNTRY, which is obviously the best. And Banner agrees wholeheartedly. This was only the 3rd time I have personally ridden him on XC, but he is just super straightforward to ride out there that I felt extremely confident!

Karen had been so impressed with us on Day 1, that she told Trainer to move me up to the Novice group. Trainer told me that Karen was worried I hadn't gotten "enough" the day before, and wanted to challenge me. I felt extremely honored at the compliment! I had mentioned to Karen that Banner and I were a fairly new partnership, but he is the horse I want to take up the levels, I want her to challenge me, and I was thrilled that she heard me and thought we were good enough to move up.


She started the day off having us all work on sending our horses forward, and bringing them back in the canter. I found that Banner's improved fitness level was really obvious to me when we worked this. He finally feels strong enough to maintain an uphill balance in a forward gallop. I love how responsive he is as well! My body weight was able to adjust him super easily, before I even had to worry about slowing him down with the bit. He is a very sensitive ride and I love that about him! Fun fact: Banner rides in a nathe in all 3 phases!


Next, we got to do the fun stuff. Jump the jumps!! We ended up jumping  a couple of the biggest fences that we have done as a pair, and Banner didn't even so much as bat an eye! His confidence definitely helped make me more confident as well.


It was also the first time I've done down banks with him (although I'm fairly sure he has done them before), and we crushed it!! We even did down banks into water, which is the first time I have ever done that! Banner was completely unphased by every single thing I asked of him! He only had 1 time that he got a lil annoyed at me for making a poor decision on a take off and he threw a lil baby buck afterwards, but I totally deserved it! I apologized profusely to him for my poor riding there, but he never holds a grudge which is so amazing!


We had a lot of fun ending the day playing in the water. Also, I've always desperately wanted an epic water photo, and just never been able to get it, but this weekend delivered in surplus!!


All in all, Karen was incredible to ride with, and I will definitely be riding with her again!! She has an impressive ability to quickly and easily hone in on exactly what you need to work on to improve and she pushes you hard to get there! Her training style is tough, so if you don't have some thick skin, she may not be the clinician for you, but for me, it was just the kind of training I was looking for.


Also, I took notes all weekend of some of my favorite phrases and things she said, so I will drop some of those below!!

  • A half halt is not asking for half of a halt, its asking for a half for half of the time.
  • [That horse] is gonna get some religion this morning.
  • You've got a little bit of an anger management look in your eye.
  • I know you're strong. Big deal. So am I.
  • Be gentle [with the bit]. Its not punishment, its language.
  • It's never what you thought you did, it's what [the horse] heard you do.
  • Go back to the lineup and think about your sins for a moment.
  • There's two kinds of pressure. Rhythmic pressure and steady pressure.
  • Your horse is what you make it [behaviorally].
  • Sometimes you talk louder thinking that the volume is the problem, when really its the connection that is bad.
  • You're not going to die out here, but I might kill you if you don't get better!
  • You put on a poker face, except the horse doesn't play poker!
  • Make a plan. Then make a plan to keep the plan.
  • We want the horse to have impulsion, not to be impulsive.
  • You will never see a good stride when [the horse] is hollow. 

Comments

  1. I like the notes! Honestly she sounds terrifying to me still LOL. Sounds like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have a great time! She definitely isn't for everyone, but if she is in your area and you have the ability to audit, I highly recommend that!

      Delete
  2. Great pictures and what an awesome weekend!!! I esp like the note: “it’s never what you thought you did, it's what [the horse] heard you do”

    I’m with Carly - honestly still kind of wary of KOC but would probably audit and take tons of notes haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has some really great one-liners. I definitely missed a few in my notes, but I love some of the little things she says, she has a way of phrasing things that can really make a concept click for you!
      If she is ever in your area, and you have the ability to audit, I highly recommend it. I think I've audited her 4(?) times now and always learned a lot. Its much less intimidating to audit her than ride with her for sure.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Saddle Woes & Jumping Ponies

I'm definitely still in a bit of a weird headspace, and obviously still not getting back to real consistency on the blog just yet, but hey, some posts are better than none, right? I'm not exaggerating when I say this canter is an actual dream to ride. All 3 ponies got chiropractic work from my vet a week and a half ago, and she confirmed a fear for me regarding Banner - his lovely Devoucoux saddle doesn't fit. Awesome. Its hitting his scapula, and even with quite a few weeks out of the saddle recently, he still had a lot of residual soreness along his scapula. Luckily I haven't been able to ride 3 ponies lately anyways, so he was on the backburner regardless so it doesn't change much in our immediate plans, but its never fun to know you have to sell a saddle/change plans.  My CWD on V (usually using a half pad, but was testing the fit without) I've got a few different ideas on what I plan to do with selling his current saddle/what I plan to replace it with. I

The Best Horse in All the Lands

Here's the post about my main man, Charmer, from the weekend with my trainer!! I'll go ahead and spoil the ending right now - he is perfect and I don't deserve him.  After where I left off with V (end of yesterday's post) I felt really disheartened when I climbed into the tack on Charmer. He's not exactly known for being the easiest  ride on XC and I sort of mentally was beating myself into a pulp for no good reason. After a good number of comments regarding my leg/balance on V, I was just really feeling like I sucked and had no business being out there. It didn't help that this year has been a complete crapshoot for me and XC and this was only my third time out on Charmer all year.  I halfheartedly warmed him up while thinking we might just not even jump anything. He came out his good ol' dragon self and I was thinking "I don't even have the energy to manage him right now, and I don't deserve to be here anyways". It wasn't a great head

Winter Sucks

 Well. I fell off the grid for like 4 whole months. Whoops. The sad part? Basically nothing all that exciting has happened in FOUR MONTHS. I'm dying y'all. Okay, technically a few semi-fun things have happened, but it has seriously been the dumbest freaking end of fall/winter ever.  Like the day after Christmas, we got snow...and then more...and then more. For reference, I live in the Boise area in Idaho, where yes, we do get snow, but like...a couple inches at a time max , and it usually melts within a few days. And this time, we seriously got probably 8"+ in the span of like 36 hours. Which was so prettty . For like a moment. But now it is freakin February 1st, and I STILL HAVE 2" OF SNOW IN MY ARENA . Because we basically haven't gotten above like 38* since it snowed, which hasn't allowed anything to fully thaw out. Soooo, I haven't ridden since sometime in December. And I'm big-time cranky about it (sorry to literally anyone who has to talk to me b