Skip to main content

Organization

So, as most of you know (the 3 of you that probably even read this blog haha), I keep my horses at home. Which is amazing! But it has also opened up a world of changes. For the first time, I am 100% in charge of my horse's care. Only about 6 weeks after Charmer moved home, I rethought his entire diet and we took practically a 180* turn. His hay got switched. Grain got switched. I changed a few supplements for short term use that I have now cut out. I think the result is him looking and feeling better than ever. 

Old picture.
Cutest expression ever.

But along with being 100% in charge of my horse's care, means I am also 100% in charge of giving everything a place, making sure everything stays organized, and being always vigilant about making sure my horse has enough of everything he needs.


Which honestly, I quite enjoy! But it is a lot of organizing. I make kind of DIY Smartpaks in baggies for both of my horses (although I'm really intrigued to try this idea from Leah). Some of my supplements actually come in real smartpaks (the 10% off and free shipping all the time make it totally worth it to me). But I also get a lot of my supplements in boxes and so they are all stored in my little "office" in the house, which is where I make the baggies.


I have a mini fridge in my feed room that holds some of my various horse medications/aloe vera/carrots (and works great to set my box of peppermints on!). And I have used some fairly cheap, but durable, totes from Target to hold my grain in.


I also bought a label maker and have proceeded to label so many things - especially my totes filled with blankets! Oh yeah, and that's the other thing. I have a lot of totes. Of many different sizes, brands and levels of niceness. They all hold different, but specific things. Can y'all tell I am trying really hard at this organizing thing??

All filled with various blankets

There is also a lot of stuff that lives in my trailer, since I don't have a full on barn to keep it all in. My trailer also has totes and labels in it (do you see a theme here?). I keep meaning to pick up a trailer door hanger to store stuff in as well, but it just keeps being forgotten about or pushed down the list.


I love finding new ideas of what to use or how to organize things well. Speaking of which, I just ordered the Equestrian Journal after reading about it on Meg's blog, and I am very excited to see how this will help organize my thoughts. For years, I have tried to keep notes and scribbles of rides, but somehow the notebooks always get lost, or I can't seem to keep it all organized. Hopefully, this will keep me a little more on track! I love to stay organized as well as write stuff down (ahem, the whole reason why this blog started). So I cannot wait for my new journal to come in!!

I would love to know what do you guys do to keep everything organized?

Comments

  1. I love totes as well. Totes, drawers, boxes, trunks--I'll take them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they the best?! I have so many, and the collection always seems to grow.

      Delete
  2. Oh man it's definitely the season for organizing everything ! I wish I had that much storage!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring cleaning came early this year I guess! The best part about keeping the ponies at home is all the storage! Now the back of my car isn't a tack room (for the first time ever).

      Delete
  3. You are infinitely more organized than me, my barn typically looks like a tornado blew threw 😂 I'm glad you liked the "diy smartpak" idea though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My house always looks like a tornado blew through it...but somehow the barn areas stay neater. Probably just because I care more about the horses' stuff than my own!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Saddle Woes & Jumping Ponies

I'm definitely still in a bit of a weird headspace, and obviously still not getting back to real consistency on the blog just yet, but hey, some posts are better than none, right? I'm not exaggerating when I say this canter is an actual dream to ride. All 3 ponies got chiropractic work from my vet a week and a half ago, and she confirmed a fear for me regarding Banner - his lovely Devoucoux saddle doesn't fit. Awesome. Its hitting his scapula, and even with quite a few weeks out of the saddle recently, he still had a lot of residual soreness along his scapula. Luckily I haven't been able to ride 3 ponies lately anyways, so he was on the backburner regardless so it doesn't change much in our immediate plans, but its never fun to know you have to sell a saddle/change plans.  My CWD on V (usually using a half pad, but was testing the fit without) I've got a few different ideas on what I plan to do with selling his current saddle/what I plan to replace it with. I

The Best Horse in All the Lands

Here's the post about my main man, Charmer, from the weekend with my trainer!! I'll go ahead and spoil the ending right now - he is perfect and I don't deserve him.  After where I left off with V (end of yesterday's post) I felt really disheartened when I climbed into the tack on Charmer. He's not exactly known for being the easiest  ride on XC and I sort of mentally was beating myself into a pulp for no good reason. After a good number of comments regarding my leg/balance on V, I was just really feeling like I sucked and had no business being out there. It didn't help that this year has been a complete crapshoot for me and XC and this was only my third time out on Charmer all year.  I halfheartedly warmed him up while thinking we might just not even jump anything. He came out his good ol' dragon self and I was thinking "I don't even have the energy to manage him right now, and I don't deserve to be here anyways". It wasn't a great head