Skip to main content

Yearly Grind

Yesterday, I had the day off (finally!), and it was the perfect time to get some routine maintenance done on Charmer. His hind shoes were coming up on 9 weeks and needing reset, so Farrier came out at 9:00, and we kicked off the day right, with a new set of hind shoes (his fronts & hinds are on different schedules right now). Once he was done, he got to go back out in the pasture and goof off with his friends for a few hours.

Around noon, I went out and hooked up the trailer - which was pretty comical, because I could not get the ball flipped up in the bed of the truck. It took me like 10 minutes. When I actually got it flipped right side up, it took me less than 5 minutes to get the trailer hooked up, but man it was pretty ridiculous getting that stupid ball flipped around. Anyways, so once everything was finally all hooked up, I went to grab Charmer, and he looked at me all "again? really lady?".

At least he plays along with adventures
(also why does his BoT sheet look like a mini skirt on him?!)

He complied with me pretty easily, and I switched out his turnout sheet for his BoT mesh sheet for the road. He loves his mesh sheet, so it always makes him a little more willing to be a nice horse and do what I want. He loaded typically, for him, which means he approaches the trailer once and doesn't get in, and then I circle him around and he hops right up. Its weird. He always needs 2 tries.


Then the poor kiddo got dragged to the vet for a dental. He gave me profuse amounts of side eye throughout the whole thing, but he was really, really good. I told the vet up front - he is a total lightweight. So the vet went ahead and only gave him a little over 1/2 of the normal dose he would give, with the saying "we can always give more". We didn't need to. 

Charmer walked into the stocks easily, and was so good about standing for his teeth. The vet even noted that he was probably a little more awake than most horses when he is doing their teeth, but the vet said he seems to have kind of a "grit his teeth and get it over with" mentality. The horse is oddly stoic about injuries, needles, and getting his teeth done. Maybe not quite so stoic in the saddle, but he is all business 99% of the time when a vet has to do anything with him. 

His teeth weren't bad at all - he was due, but nothing too bad. A small wave in one side of his mouth, a few hooks, and an oddly sharp left canine, but all fairly routine. The vet and vet tech could not stop saying how much they liked him! I counted at least 5 times between the two of them that they mentioned, "I really like this horse". Always the Charmer wherever he goes (hehehe, see what I did there). 

Once we were done with his float, the vet and I chatted a bit about Charmer. I recently switched over to this vet, so he has very little history. We spent some time talking about all of Charmer's hind joints as well as potential injections. Charmer has had two lameness exams in the last couple of years, and both times he flexed the slightest bit positive in his hocks, specifically the left hock. Not enough that either vet doing them suggested hock injections were necessary, but enough that they mentioned it being a future point of maintenance.

Slightly drugged walks

Also, when I first got Charmer (over 2.5 years ago - how time flies!), my vet at the time mentioned that his SI joint showed some slight arthritis. It has not been a major problem for us, but something I always keep tucked in the back of my mind. We discussed injections for this as well, but we both mentioned it would be worth doing hocks first since those are far less invasive (and expensive) to do. It was a good conversation to have, and even if Charmer doesn't get injections for another couple of years, the vet was really helpful and great to talk with about it all. Who knows, maybe Charmer will be back in the spring for some injections.

On an unrelated note, we made some farm purchases this weekend as well! Including, but not limited to:

JUMPS!

An old friend of mine decided to sell all of her jumps and offered them to me. It was a great price, and most importantly, it means I don't have to build my own! They could use some TLC, but that will come in the spring. For now, I am thrilled to have the ability to jump at home. All in all, there are 20 standards, 20 jump cups, and a handful of poles. Once I get some more poles, I will be able to easily set up courses at home!! Pretty excited about that. If anyone has any fun ideas on painting the jumps, or any super fun jump exercises - send them my way! I love new ideas!!

Comments

  1. oooooh that's super exciting about the new jump equipment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it! Can't wait to start doing some jump exercises at home now.

      Delete
  2. So exciting about the jumps! Check out Olivia's blog (https://diyhorseownership.com/) for some really cool jump painting and decorating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! Thanks for the suggestion! I'll definitely check that out.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Saddle Woes & Jumping Ponies

I'm definitely still in a bit of a weird headspace, and obviously still not getting back to real consistency on the blog just yet, but hey, some posts are better than none, right? I'm not exaggerating when I say this canter is an actual dream to ride. All 3 ponies got chiropractic work from my vet a week and a half ago, and she confirmed a fear for me regarding Banner - his lovely Devoucoux saddle doesn't fit. Awesome. Its hitting his scapula, and even with quite a few weeks out of the saddle recently, he still had a lot of residual soreness along his scapula. Luckily I haven't been able to ride 3 ponies lately anyways, so he was on the backburner regardless so it doesn't change much in our immediate plans, but its never fun to know you have to sell a saddle/change plans.  My CWD on V (usually using a half pad, but was testing the fit without) I've got a few different ideas on what I plan to do with selling his current saddle/what I plan to replace it with. I

The Best Horse in All the Lands

Here's the post about my main man, Charmer, from the weekend with my trainer!! I'll go ahead and spoil the ending right now - he is perfect and I don't deserve him.  After where I left off with V (end of yesterday's post) I felt really disheartened when I climbed into the tack on Charmer. He's not exactly known for being the easiest  ride on XC and I sort of mentally was beating myself into a pulp for no good reason. After a good number of comments regarding my leg/balance on V, I was just really feeling like I sucked and had no business being out there. It didn't help that this year has been a complete crapshoot for me and XC and this was only my third time out on Charmer all year.  I halfheartedly warmed him up while thinking we might just not even jump anything. He came out his good ol' dragon self and I was thinking "I don't even have the energy to manage him right now, and I don't deserve to be here anyways". It wasn't a great head

Organization

So, as most of you know (the 3 of you that probably even read this blog haha), I keep my horses at home. Which is amazing ! But it has also opened up a world of changes. For the first time, I am 100% in charge of my horse's care. Only about 6 weeks after Charmer moved home, I rethought his entire diet and we took practically a 180* turn. His hay got switched. Grain got switched. I changed a few supplements for short term use that I have now cut out. I think the result is him looking and feeling better than ever.  Old picture. Cutest expression ever. But along with being 100% in charge of my horse's care, means I am also 100% in charge of giving everything a place, making sure everything stays organized, and being always vigilant about making sure my horse has enough of everything he needs. Which honestly, I quite enjoy! But it is a lot of organizing. I make kind of DIY Smartpaks in baggies for both of my horses (although I'm really intrigued to try  this i