Skip to main content

From Racehorse to Sporthorse

Charmer is my first straight off the racetrack horse. As such, I got him in race-fit condition. To clarify, he was not in bad shape. He was in the condition that he was supposed to be in for the sport that he was doing at that time. Charmer was loved, treated well, and cared for. This is not whatsoever a post to say I "rescued" him or whatever. Because I didn't. If you get a horse straight off the track, you did not rescue them, you gave them a place to retire to. Charmer was in a fantastic home and his owners loved him. Both on and off the racetrack, he was treated like a king. But that said, racehorse fit and sporthorse fit are very, very different things.

Ever since the first day I got him, I was fascinated and excited to see how his body would develop as he changed disciplines. As he went from a horse that needed incredibly lean muscle to run as fast as possible, to a horse that needs thicker, different muscles to carry his body in a completely different way.

Plus, ever since day one, I have always searched for the "magic cure" to keep weight on him. He is a naturally hard keeper (thanks thoroughbred high metabolism...) plus he also windsucks/cribs which doesn't help the situation. Even his owners said right off the bat - he is tough to keep weight on.

July 8th, 2015
This is from the second day he was home. When you look at his body, you can see that he has muscle there, but its lean muscle. He is streamlined. He needs to run fast and far, and he is built for that. Holding a balanced, in frame canter that is worthy of a dressage test? Not so much. Jumping a 2'6" course? Not quite.

October 24th, 2015
He has put some weight on, but this is right during the time where I hadn't ridden him for 2+ months (thanks broken pelvis and soft pony feet). His body is still holding a mostly streamlined shape. The muscles that he has are still clearly more geared towards heading back to the racetrack, than heading into the jumper ring.

December 29th, 2015

Here is him after two months of work. Now granted, it is work that is mostly packing me around because I had poor balance and confidence, but he is starting to build up some topline muscle, all along his neck, back and butt.

February 17th, 2016

His back and butt muscles have not significantly increased from December, but his neck is beginning to take the shape of a sporthorse. You can still see his ribs, so still no magic cure for that yet, but he is starting to look a bit more like he belongs in a dressage or jumping show.

April 21st, 2016

Clearly pretty ribby here. I know you're a hard keeper Charmer, but give me a break! Still trying to figure out how to keep the weight on him. His muscle however is definitely headed in the right direction. The work we are doing to keep him on the bit/in a frame/whatever you want to call it, is starting to pay off. His hind end has gotten significantly thicker, and his shoulders and neck are thickening as well.

June 12th, 2016

Looking a little less ribby now, and you can see his glossy and shiny coat. He is at a good weight, his muscle is holding, he is starting to look more and more like he belongs in a sporthorse setting and less on the racetrack.


February 20th, 2017


Here he is now. His topline is at the best that it has ever been. For the first time since I got him, I cannot see his ribs. He really truly looks like a sporthorse now. No longer the racehorse trying to play sporthorse. Now he is the beefy, muscled sporthorse. He doesn't look like he is just playing the part anymore. He really truly is a sporthorse now, and I am so thrilled that I have been able to document his changes along the way.

Almost exactly one year apart


Let's just take a moment to look at that, shall we? In the top photo, I still see a racehorse trying to play sporthorse. He almost looks the part, but just not quite. In the bottom photo, I see a horse that isn't pretending anymore. Thick. Muscled. Beefy. He looks like he belongs in the sporthorse world.

Day 2 to now






This doesn't even look like the same horse to me. Honestly, if I hadn't been there since day one, I would look at these two pictures and think that these aren't the same horse. In the top photo, I see a really incredible racehorse, that was truly amazing at his job. In the bottom photo, I see a really wonderful sporthorse, who is learning to be just as amazing at his job.




I am so proud of his past, and I am so excited for his future. I can only hope he ends up being as good at his new job as he was at his old one.

Comments

  1. Aw he looks great!! It's definitely hard to watch the early months of the transformation as they lose all that race muscle but don't necessarily start packing on new pounds to make up for it... at least that's where my guy is lol. Seems like whatever you're doing is working tho, he's really come along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah they definitely just get kind of gangly and weird there for a little while while they are transitioning from racing muscle to other muscle. And thank you! So glad to have finally found what works for him.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Saddle Woes & Jumping Ponies

I'm definitely still in a bit of a weird headspace, and obviously still not getting back to real consistency on the blog just yet, but hey, some posts are better than none, right? I'm not exaggerating when I say this canter is an actual dream to ride. All 3 ponies got chiropractic work from my vet a week and a half ago, and she confirmed a fear for me regarding Banner - his lovely Devoucoux saddle doesn't fit. Awesome. Its hitting his scapula, and even with quite a few weeks out of the saddle recently, he still had a lot of residual soreness along his scapula. Luckily I haven't been able to ride 3 ponies lately anyways, so he was on the backburner regardless so it doesn't change much in our immediate plans, but its never fun to know you have to sell a saddle/change plans.  My CWD on V (usually using a half pad, but was testing the fit without) I've got a few different ideas on what I plan to do with selling his current saddle/what I plan to replace it with. I

The Best Horse in All the Lands

Here's the post about my main man, Charmer, from the weekend with my trainer!! I'll go ahead and spoil the ending right now - he is perfect and I don't deserve him.  After where I left off with V (end of yesterday's post) I felt really disheartened when I climbed into the tack on Charmer. He's not exactly known for being the easiest  ride on XC and I sort of mentally was beating myself into a pulp for no good reason. After a good number of comments regarding my leg/balance on V, I was just really feeling like I sucked and had no business being out there. It didn't help that this year has been a complete crapshoot for me and XC and this was only my third time out on Charmer all year.  I halfheartedly warmed him up while thinking we might just not even jump anything. He came out his good ol' dragon self and I was thinking "I don't even have the energy to manage him right now, and I don't deserve to be here anyways". It wasn't a great head

Organization

So, as most of you know (the 3 of you that probably even read this blog haha), I keep my horses at home. Which is amazing ! But it has also opened up a world of changes. For the first time, I am 100% in charge of my horse's care. Only about 6 weeks after Charmer moved home, I rethought his entire diet and we took practically a 180* turn. His hay got switched. Grain got switched. I changed a few supplements for short term use that I have now cut out. I think the result is him looking and feeling better than ever.  Old picture. Cutest expression ever. But along with being 100% in charge of my horse's care, means I am also 100% in charge of giving everything a place, making sure everything stays organized, and being always vigilant about making sure my horse has enough of everything he needs. Which honestly, I quite enjoy! But it is a lot of organizing. I make kind of DIY Smartpaks in baggies for both of my horses (although I'm really intrigued to try  this i