Skip to main content

Two Years

On my "Facebook Memories", it showed that, two years ago today, I bought Pancho. I can hardly believe it has been two years. It both feels like it was yesterday, but also like it was an eternity ago.

At the time when I was offered to buy Pancho, I had been exercise riding him for about two and a half months, and had fallen in love with him. I loved his crooked blaze, and cheek "dimples", even his little white sock and stripey hoof. I loved his funny quirks, like always having to show off his teeth, needing a routine (down to the point of even being tied in the same spot), preferring to do some canter work before real trot work, and always taking the long spot. I fell in love with everything about Pancho. So I jumped at the opportunity when he was offered to me.


So on January 4th, 2015, I bought my very first horse. Pancho was a dream come true for me. In his younger days, he had been a Prelim event horse, and regularly competitive in 3'6" show jumping. Even though he was at an age which would deem him "senior" (22yo), you wouldn't dare tell him that. Any time someone mentions retirement, he immediately gives you a healthy dose of side eye. He would run Prelim again tomorrow if you let him.

"3 foot? Give me a challenge woman!"
This horse carried me over countless jumps, patiently packed me around show courses, and helped me bring home tons of ribbons. He knew his job, and even when I failed at my job, he was usually very forgiving and patient (to an extent) and would save my butt anyways. He is the first horse that I competed over 2'6" on, and he got me to be very comfortable around 3' courses. He is also a cross country machine. It is probably his favorite phase. Galloping and jumping? What could be better?


Two years ago, when I bought him, I never could have dreamed of where he would take me. He made me a better rider. As forgiving as he was, he would also tell me when he had enough. He taught me to have an engaged seat and core, light hands, and strong leg. If I forgot one of those things, he made sure to let me know. Also, I had always loved thoroughbreds, but Pancho took a hidden love, and cultivated it into a devoted passion.


Pancho helped me to begin edging my way into the local riding community. We started showing at local shows, and I started to meet more people and learn more things.


This little, dark bay, old man thoroughbred, with his crooked blaze and little white sock, carried me to greater heights, more shows, new friendships, incredible opportunites, new horses and so much more. It has been two years since my whole world changed, and I owe it all to this horse. So, thank you Pancho, thank you for everything.

I will always feel incredibly lucky to have ever called this horse mine. Honestly I feel lucky to have ever ridden him. He will always be so so special and dear to my heart.

I love you Pancho <3

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Saddle Woes & Jumping Ponies

I'm definitely still in a bit of a weird headspace, and obviously still not getting back to real consistency on the blog just yet, but hey, some posts are better than none, right? I'm not exaggerating when I say this canter is an actual dream to ride. All 3 ponies got chiropractic work from my vet a week and a half ago, and she confirmed a fear for me regarding Banner - his lovely Devoucoux saddle doesn't fit. Awesome. Its hitting his scapula, and even with quite a few weeks out of the saddle recently, he still had a lot of residual soreness along his scapula. Luckily I haven't been able to ride 3 ponies lately anyways, so he was on the backburner regardless so it doesn't change much in our immediate plans, but its never fun to know you have to sell a saddle/change plans.  My CWD on V (usually using a half pad, but was testing the fit without) I've got a few different ideas on what I plan to do with selling his current saddle/what I plan to replace it with. I

Organization

So, as most of you know (the 3 of you that probably even read this blog haha), I keep my horses at home. Which is amazing ! But it has also opened up a world of changes. For the first time, I am 100% in charge of my horse's care. Only about 6 weeks after Charmer moved home, I rethought his entire diet and we took practically a 180* turn. His hay got switched. Grain got switched. I changed a few supplements for short term use that I have now cut out. I think the result is him looking and feeling better than ever.  Old picture. Cutest expression ever. But along with being 100% in charge of my horse's care, means I am also 100% in charge of giving everything a place, making sure everything stays organized, and being always vigilant about making sure my horse has enough of everything he needs. Which honestly, I quite enjoy! But it is a lot of organizing. I make kind of DIY Smartpaks in baggies for both of my horses (although I'm really intrigued to try  this i

The Best Horse in All the Lands

Here's the post about my main man, Charmer, from the weekend with my trainer!! I'll go ahead and spoil the ending right now - he is perfect and I don't deserve him.  After where I left off with V (end of yesterday's post) I felt really disheartened when I climbed into the tack on Charmer. He's not exactly known for being the easiest  ride on XC and I sort of mentally was beating myself into a pulp for no good reason. After a good number of comments regarding my leg/balance on V, I was just really feeling like I sucked and had no business being out there. It didn't help that this year has been a complete crapshoot for me and XC and this was only my third time out on Charmer all year.  I halfheartedly warmed him up while thinking we might just not even jump anything. He came out his good ol' dragon self and I was thinking "I don't even have the energy to manage him right now, and I don't deserve to be here anyways". It wasn't a great head