Skip to main content

2017 Goals

A few weeks ago, I sat down and analyzed my goals for Charmer and I, and concluded with twelve goals for us for this upcoming year. These goals will be on their very own page for the entirety of the year, but I figured, as my first post of 2017, I might as well make a post about what I want our upcoming year to look like.

1.  Start being competitive (bringing home ribbons) at the 2'3" and 2'6" levels locally
because I want a picture like this with Charmer
The point of this goal is mostly for me to really take 2'3" and 2'6" classes seriously this year. I used to be serious/competitive at that height, and I would like to get that way again, and Charmer is the kind of horse that can make those heights look and feel completely insignificant. 

2. Begin to play in the 2'9" and 3' classes locally
I would love to get some killer pictures of just one or two rounds at 2'9"+ this year with Charmer. Even if I honestly just do one single 2'9" round the whole year, I will be thrilled about it. I am really aiming to get into the 3' classes (at least once) this year.

3. Do our first XC schooling together
I am still hoping/planning on Charmer becoming an event horse, so we really need to get that first cross country schooling under our belts for that to continue to be a possibility and option for the future. Plus this is a cheap goal for me, I just need to make the time. And even if I just take him out to get him over half a dozen 2' and under logs, I will be happy about that.

4. Start taking regular lessons again (weekly or every other week hopefully) in the springtime
My trainer heads south in the winter, and she won't be back for the next few months. So I am planning to spend the next few months hoarding my pennies, so that when she gets home, I can really start into some serious boot camp for Charmer and I.

5. Try our first Beginner Novice derby or unrecognized event
Here is my loftiest goal for Charmer and I this year, in my opinion. This is a goal that will really push both of us, mentally. I have no doubt in our physical ability to do it, but the mental part of it is the bigger blockade for both of us (me mostly). I would be thrilled to accomplish this goal within the next year though.

6. Play in some local schooling dressage shows and get at least a 65% on one Training Level test
I did one schooling dressage show with Charmer this year. Our warmup was beautiful, but of course, there were no cameras for that. We ended on a not-great-but-fairly-respectable-score of 62% for our first ever time in a real dressage arena. I was surprised with that score honestly because it felt like one of our worst rides in terms of tenseness/giraffeness. But this makes me really excited to get some more show miles on him and see if we can get more scores in the 65%-70% and up range. 

7. Audit or attend at least 2 clinics
Okay let's be real - I am probably wayyy too poor to actually afford going to a clinic, let alone the fact my horse is a psycho and would probably scare off the poor clinician. But one of the local barns (same place I train), offers all of their clinics free to auditors. Um, sign me up?! It can be a little funny being the only one standing around watching the clinic, but it is fascinating what you can learn just from watching other people. I would really like to improve my knowledge through this outlet this year.

8. Work on Charmer being ridden bridleless W/T/C
I have ridden Charmer bridleless a few times. But its always inside. And it is honestly not usually "safe". I mean he isn't being dangerous, but I have little to no steering or control. I would really like to improve his bridleless skills this year into something manageable enough to actually ride and enjoy.

9. Become braver and more confident in my own riding, and learn to trust my horse and our training
I know this is not a very measurable goal, but I need this to be a goal for me this year. Ever since I broke my pelvis a year and a half ago, I have become a very nervous rider and won't push myself in the same way I used to, even if I know it is something I can do. And because of that, I have been told numerous times, by several different people, that "they are more confident in my ability to ride than I am" or "you don't believe you are as good of a rider as you are". That is not to say that I am a good rider, I am not, and I have lots of things to work on, but it is to say that I don't even have the confidence in myself to ride through things that I clearly have the ability to ride. And that makes my riding suffer even more than it needs to. So I would like to really work on pushing through that, and trusting myself and my horse more this year. 

10. Upgrade our jump saddle to something higher end, that works better for both of us.
May or may not already have this goal already completed/en route to me... 

11. Start saving up for a wide dressage saddle to fit the beefy princess pony
This goal is a source of great sadness to me... We just bought a dressage saddle earlier in the year (which I love) but unfortunately, it has already become too tight for Charmer. He is a big, beefy horse. His saddle gullet needs to be between a wide and an x-wide. Not your typical OTTB gullet. Or dressage gullet for that matter. And finding a dressage saddle to be wide enough for him is a nightmare. Honestly. I have nightmares about it. So the fact he has already outgrown this dressage saddle in less than 6 months, is so so sad to me. Apparently, we now will be in search of (yet another) dressage saddle that is WIDE. If you know of anything. Hit me up guys. Seriously. I am dying at the thought of searching for another dressage saddle for this beefy monstrosity. 



These goals are pretty big dreams for us this year. I know they wouldn't be huge goals for most people, but for me, especially with my current confidence issues, and Charmer's spazzy horse issues, these will be a good challenge for us. I think all of these goals are achievable for us this year, with a lot of hard work and dedication. Whether we accomplish all of these goals or none of them - I am excited to see where this year will take us, and what it will bring.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Saddle Woes & Jumping Ponies

I'm definitely still in a bit of a weird headspace, and obviously still not getting back to real consistency on the blog just yet, but hey, some posts are better than none, right? I'm not exaggerating when I say this canter is an actual dream to ride. All 3 ponies got chiropractic work from my vet a week and a half ago, and she confirmed a fear for me regarding Banner - his lovely Devoucoux saddle doesn't fit. Awesome. Its hitting his scapula, and even with quite a few weeks out of the saddle recently, he still had a lot of residual soreness along his scapula. Luckily I haven't been able to ride 3 ponies lately anyways, so he was on the backburner regardless so it doesn't change much in our immediate plans, but its never fun to know you have to sell a saddle/change plans.  My CWD on V (usually using a half pad, but was testing the fit without) I've got a few different ideas on what I plan to do with selling his current saddle/what I plan to replace it with. I

The Best Horse in All the Lands

Here's the post about my main man, Charmer, from the weekend with my trainer!! I'll go ahead and spoil the ending right now - he is perfect and I don't deserve him.  After where I left off with V (end of yesterday's post) I felt really disheartened when I climbed into the tack on Charmer. He's not exactly known for being the easiest  ride on XC and I sort of mentally was beating myself into a pulp for no good reason. After a good number of comments regarding my leg/balance on V, I was just really feeling like I sucked and had no business being out there. It didn't help that this year has been a complete crapshoot for me and XC and this was only my third time out on Charmer all year.  I halfheartedly warmed him up while thinking we might just not even jump anything. He came out his good ol' dragon self and I was thinking "I don't even have the energy to manage him right now, and I don't deserve to be here anyways". It wasn't a great head

Organization

So, as most of you know (the 3 of you that probably even read this blog haha), I keep my horses at home. Which is amazing ! But it has also opened up a world of changes. For the first time, I am 100% in charge of my horse's care. Only about 6 weeks after Charmer moved home, I rethought his entire diet and we took practically a 180* turn. His hay got switched. Grain got switched. I changed a few supplements for short term use that I have now cut out. I think the result is him looking and feeling better than ever.  Old picture. Cutest expression ever. But along with being 100% in charge of my horse's care, means I am also 100% in charge of giving everything a place, making sure everything stays organized, and being always vigilant about making sure my horse has enough of everything he needs. Which honestly, I quite enjoy! But it is a lot of organizing. I make kind of DIY Smartpaks in baggies for both of my horses (although I'm really intrigued to try  this i