Skip to main content

Introductions and Ramblings

Well hello to all. I'm basically a nobody so who knows if anyone will read this but, for anyone who actually does: Here are some ramblings and thoughts from a horse crazy 18 year old (almost 19 year old) college student, working part-time, who owns and rides a spastic 6yo solid bay OTTB gelding, Charmer.



So here is me, Jannae. (Yep its not a very common name. Its pronouced "Ja-neigh" if that helps?) No, not Jane, not Jenna, not Jenny, not Janey, trust me I have gotten all of those and more. It's Jannae. But if it helps, I'll respond to anything in that list. I pretty much respond to any "J" name at this point.

So a little about me... well like I said, I'm in college and I own a 6yo OTTB. I'm studying to be a CS major. Not because I like school, or because I had a particular amount of knowledge on the subject before college, but simply because I need a career that will support my expensive 4-legged hobby. Being in college and owning a horse, means I am very money-poor, but horse-rich. I'd like to be money-rich and horse-rich, but gotta pick and choose some things.

Apart from school, work and horses, there isn't much time for anything else. But I still manage to be an avid Harry Potter fan as well as Marvel movies nerd. Speaking of both of those things. Just watched Fantastic Beasts last night. Loved it. Eddie Redmayne. He's fantastic. Enough said, don't want to say anything important about the movie, so just go watch it and enjoy it for yourself. On the Marvel movies front, just watched Dr. Strange. Twice. Absolutely incredible. Benedict Cumberbatch. Ahhh love him. Again another movie that I cannot spoil, you just need to watch it.



Okay now, here is a riding picture from when I first started riding because lets all look at baby Jannae riding and my cringe-worthy position at the time. But hey I loved this pony. His name was Steel. He gave me my first walk, trot, canter, jump, oxer, fall, buck, etc. Basically, you name it, I did it the first time on him.



Okay moving forward like 10 years to slightly less cringe-worthy. Here is me and my rockstar kiddo, Charmer. I got him about a year and four months ago. I got him straight off the track through some connections (you know who you are and I thank you so very much!). Its been a long journey with him, but I wouldn't trade any of it for the world. Okay except maybe that 3 months we took off when I first got him due to him having soft feetsies and me with that whole broken pelvis thing. But other than that, its been great!

So here's a little more on Charmer since he is really the star of the show. I show him under the name "My Lucky Charm" and he really is. Never thought I could love a horse like I love this kid (despite his sometimes crazy, hectic or weird moments. And his JC (Jockey Club for anyone who doesn't know) name is "Really a Charmer". He lives up to that name too. He definitely has a way of worming his cute little(try huge) face and self into your heart. He raced 6 times. He was actually fantastic. 4 firsts, 2 seconds. Problem is, he likes to bang himself up. His racing connections just didn't want to see him get broken down, so they decided to give him a second career. That's where I come in. We are training for jumpers/eventing. One day we will get around to recognized and rated stuff. For now, local it is. Anyways, he's 16.2, solid bay, no white on him (except the random little hairs that show up now and then? who knows what those are). And I'm usually a sucker for chrome, but this completely chrome-less kid has stolen my heart.

Okay well I'm done with my rambles now. I promise I'll do some actual stories or something next time, but this is just a "get to know us" post! Hope whoever reads this enjoyed it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saddle Woes & Jumping Ponies

I'm definitely still in a bit of a weird headspace, and obviously still not getting back to real consistency on the blog just yet, but hey, some posts are better than none, right? I'm not exaggerating when I say this canter is an actual dream to ride. All 3 ponies got chiropractic work from my vet a week and a half ago, and she confirmed a fear for me regarding Banner - his lovely Devoucoux saddle doesn't fit. Awesome. Its hitting his scapula, and even with quite a few weeks out of the saddle recently, he still had a lot of residual soreness along his scapula. Luckily I haven't been able to ride 3 ponies lately anyways, so he was on the backburner regardless so it doesn't change much in our immediate plans, but its never fun to know you have to sell a saddle/change plans.  My CWD on V (usually using a half pad, but was testing the fit without) I've got a few different ideas on what I plan to do with selling his current saddle/what I plan to replace it with. I

Organization

So, as most of you know (the 3 of you that probably even read this blog haha), I keep my horses at home. Which is amazing ! But it has also opened up a world of changes. For the first time, I am 100% in charge of my horse's care. Only about 6 weeks after Charmer moved home, I rethought his entire diet and we took practically a 180* turn. His hay got switched. Grain got switched. I changed a few supplements for short term use that I have now cut out. I think the result is him looking and feeling better than ever.  Old picture. Cutest expression ever. But along with being 100% in charge of my horse's care, means I am also 100% in charge of giving everything a place, making sure everything stays organized, and being always vigilant about making sure my horse has enough of everything he needs. Which honestly, I quite enjoy! But it is a lot of organizing. I make kind of DIY Smartpaks in baggies for both of my horses (although I'm really intrigued to try  this i

The Best Horse in All the Lands

Here's the post about my main man, Charmer, from the weekend with my trainer!! I'll go ahead and spoil the ending right now - he is perfect and I don't deserve him.  After where I left off with V (end of yesterday's post) I felt really disheartened when I climbed into the tack on Charmer. He's not exactly known for being the easiest  ride on XC and I sort of mentally was beating myself into a pulp for no good reason. After a good number of comments regarding my leg/balance on V, I was just really feeling like I sucked and had no business being out there. It didn't help that this year has been a complete crapshoot for me and XC and this was only my third time out on Charmer all year.  I halfheartedly warmed him up while thinking we might just not even jump anything. He came out his good ol' dragon self and I was thinking "I don't even have the energy to manage him right now, and I don't deserve to be here anyways". It wasn't a great head