Skip to main content

Figuring Out New Normal & Vet Appt.

I'm in a weird state with Banner right now, in which I both have a lot to say and nothing to say at the same time. There are lots of things going through my brain but nothing that seems ready to voice to the world yet. He's happy, healthy & sound, which is always a good place to be. Our partnership seems different than it was & I can't quite put my finger on it. We toodle like pros, but real work has not really been our forte lately.


Hence why the blog has been once again taken back over by my sweet Charmer pony & there has been a little bit of radio silence on Banner. Its just a weird place to be, and I'm not sure I'm ready to let the world into my brain at this time with this particular issue. Luckily, with the world - and show season - on pause for the time being, it's a good time to take the pressure off.

I know there has been a crazy amount of discussion all over social media (whether it be FB, insta, blogs, etc) whether we should keep riding at this time. It's a question that has been very charged on both sides it seems, and a question that has crossed my mind as well. For many, this question has a black and white answer, as many boarding barns have shut their doors to their clients for the safety of the barn workers (understandably so - where would we be without incredible barn staff).


For those of us with our horses at home, its much less of a black and white question. I see both sides of the argument for sure. Its hard to pass up the beautiful spring weather, but also there is always real risk of getting on a horse at any time and can be harder to justify with many hospitals being overwhelmed across the country.

I have continued to ride through this time, but I do reevaluate this question all the time. And I have skipped a couple rides when I just felt like I wasn't in the headspace for it, weather was bad or ponies seemed wild. Typically, I flat probably 90-95% of my rides at home, as I usually only jump in my lessons (although those may be on hold even more indefinitely than however long the virus affects us). I've maintained my schedule of almost entirely flatwork during this time, as jumps always increase the potential risk level. Likely I may still jump during this time, but smaller fences with less complex exercises.

Or maybe we will just do stretchy trot 24/7

If the cases in my area in my state grow drastically, I will continue to reevaluate my decision and maybe change the plan. But for now, owning two reasonably predictable horses (as predictable as an unpredictable animal can be I guess), that I've owned for nearly 5 and 2 years respectively, I feel okay continuing to ride with caution.

Especially as I've been bringing Charmer back into work, I've noticed that having several days off in a row have made him more backsore, and keeping a consistent program seems to keep him the loosest, happiest and most comfortable. In the interest of keeping Charms comfortable, I'd made an appointment over a month ago with our mobile vet for 4/7. We were considering canceling, but since my property is so private, my vet has continued to do the appointments at the smaller farms so there isn't a huge backlog of appointments when things begin to get lifted.


I absolutely adore my vet, especially because she is also certified in chiropractic & acupuncture work! Both of the boys got their spring vaccines done & Charmer was scheduled for a full chiropractic appointment. I already had an inkling of all of the places that he was out, so I gave her a full rundown of what I'd been noticing undersaddle. Sure enough, pretty much every single place I had noticed was a little off, showed up a little off as she examined him as well. Nothing too major, but definitely just a little tweaked in several places (a year off will do that to ya).

He definitely did something funky to his poll, as he was more out there than expected. I'd noticed a little bit of him holding his head slightly crooked undersaddle but it was pretty minor, but he was more out there than I thought he'd be. His neck was actually pretty good for the most part (yay!), but shoulders were pretty tight - LF more than the RF.

I threw blogger Micaylah in the tack for funsies

As we got to his back, both the vet and I were a little surprised to find he was more sore on the right side of his back, despite wanting to be bent to the left most of the time (typically the more sore side is the side they bend to, as they don't want to stretch the sore area out). Luckily all of the long & low work that we have been doing made a fairly significant difference as to how sore he was in his lumbar spine. He was still sore in that area, but much less so than he had been a week or so ago when I first noticed it.

ALL the stretchies

The place he was most screwed up (and I knew this going into it) was his pelvis. He was high on his right hip (again, I'd noticed this undersaddle), and sore in his left hind. We got some big reactions and releases from him here, when he clearly felt a LOT better after a few of those adjustments. It'll be really interesting to see how he holds this adjustment undersaddle over the next few weeks! I popped on him for a basic ride last night and he was definitely moving much more evenly behind, which was fantastic to feel.


Also, I always have my vet do a quick hock check on Charmer when she's out, as he's shown soreness there in the past and I always want to be cautious and ahead of the game if he needs maintenance in his hocks. She said they felt great! YAY! Looks like the Cosequin I have him on has been doing its job keeping him comfortable and fluid in his joints.

I'm thinking there will be another appointment for C in the next few months to make sure he stays even and straight through his body, but it was great to get a pretty good bill of health on him at this appointment!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saddle Woes & Jumping Ponies

I'm definitely still in a bit of a weird headspace, and obviously still not getting back to real consistency on the blog just yet, but hey, some posts are better than none, right? I'm not exaggerating when I say this canter is an actual dream to ride. All 3 ponies got chiropractic work from my vet a week and a half ago, and she confirmed a fear for me regarding Banner - his lovely Devoucoux saddle doesn't fit. Awesome. Its hitting his scapula, and even with quite a few weeks out of the saddle recently, he still had a lot of residual soreness along his scapula. Luckily I haven't been able to ride 3 ponies lately anyways, so he was on the backburner regardless so it doesn't change much in our immediate plans, but its never fun to know you have to sell a saddle/change plans.  My CWD on V (usually using a half pad, but was testing the fit without) I've got a few different ideas on what I plan to do with selling his current saddle/what I plan to replace it with. I

The Best Horse in All the Lands

Here's the post about my main man, Charmer, from the weekend with my trainer!! I'll go ahead and spoil the ending right now - he is perfect and I don't deserve him.  After where I left off with V (end of yesterday's post) I felt really disheartened when I climbed into the tack on Charmer. He's not exactly known for being the easiest  ride on XC and I sort of mentally was beating myself into a pulp for no good reason. After a good number of comments regarding my leg/balance on V, I was just really feeling like I sucked and had no business being out there. It didn't help that this year has been a complete crapshoot for me and XC and this was only my third time out on Charmer all year.  I halfheartedly warmed him up while thinking we might just not even jump anything. He came out his good ol' dragon self and I was thinking "I don't even have the energy to manage him right now, and I don't deserve to be here anyways". It wasn't a great head

Winter Sucks

 Well. I fell off the grid for like 4 whole months. Whoops. The sad part? Basically nothing all that exciting has happened in FOUR MONTHS. I'm dying y'all. Okay, technically a few semi-fun things have happened, but it has seriously been the dumbest freaking end of fall/winter ever.  Like the day after Christmas, we got snow...and then more...and then more. For reference, I live in the Boise area in Idaho, where yes, we do get snow, but like...a couple inches at a time max , and it usually melts within a few days. And this time, we seriously got probably 8"+ in the span of like 36 hours. Which was so prettty . For like a moment. But now it is freakin February 1st, and I STILL HAVE 2" OF SNOW IN MY ARENA . Because we basically haven't gotten above like 38* since it snowed, which hasn't allowed anything to fully thaw out. Soooo, I haven't ridden since sometime in December. And I'm big-time cranky about it (sorry to literally anyone who has to talk to me b