Skip to main content

2010s Decade in Photos

What a cool BlogHop idea from May As Well Event! I've really enjoyed reading through everyone's blogs of this particular subject because it's so cool to see how much has changed in 10 years for everyone!

2010

I'd only been riding for about 3 years by this time. I was absolutely loving it, even though I pretty much only rode once a week in my lessons, or over the summer I would hitch rides out the barn as often as I could. I was the definition of a barn rat, climbing on anything they'd let me, or working all day for a 10 minute trail ride! The pony in the photo, Steel, taught me to have a sticky seat because he was a dirty stopper, and especially hated oxers. Despite the fact he was a bit of a brat, I loved him to death & appreciate all the lessons he taught me when I was young.

2011

2011 brought the coolest little pony into my life. He was a lesson horse that had carried many, many people through their C-3 Pony Club Ratings, first events, and just about anything else you could think of. His heart was pure gold through and through. I began riding Diamond at the beginning of this year and my confidence soared with him. To this day, I'm not sure if I've met a more honest horse. He carried me over my biggest fence (3'9") and I've only ever matched that height one time since. I think he was somewhere around 23(?) when this photo was taken.

2012

As Diamond aged, I moved into trying to learn to deal with "green horses" although the horse that I was told was "green" was actually trained and had jumped 3'. She was just hot and opinionated. I learned about groundwork and the importance it can play in your relationship with your horse though. Jusanna, this white mare, is the only mare I have ever consistently ridden or liked (I'm a Gelding Girl 100% of the time!). She was definitely frustrating for me but she taught me a lot.

2013

I kept working hard with this little mare to become a true partnership. Her naturally hot, forward personality was hard for me to adjust to, and I was struggling with not feeling pushed at the barn I was at. We tried jumping but never went past probably about 2'3" and I felt frustrated knowing she was more athletic than that and I felt I was holding her back.

2014

I truly began to trust Jusanna and I loved her SO very much. But this year I realized the only reason I was staying at the barn I began riding at was solely because of her. My feelings of being frustrated and held back finally broke through and I made the decision to leave the barn that had been my family for 7 years. I have fond memories of the barn and the people, and I still am connected to many of them, but this move was one of the best and most drastic changes in my riding.

2015

Late 2014, I met Pancho and began riding him in a free lease type situation. To kick off 2015, I bought him and he changed my world. ❤️ He made me so confident and being able to own my own horse for the first time was incredible! We jumped big fences together, rode tackless, and did my first lil Novice derby. This was also the year that Charmer entered my life, but 2015 was Pancho's year. Unfortunately at the end of this year was when I injured myself catch riding another horse and my newfound confidence took a beating.

2016

After nearly 2 years without lessons, I found my current barn family. ❤️ Charmer and I had our first lesson with Trainer S, and I was glad to be in a place that would help us both get better. My excuses about not being confident didn't work here, and they created a safe, nurturing environment for both of us while also pushing me to be the best rider I could be. It was definitely little jumps and basic exercises but it was exactly what I needed. Especially hearing the voice of someone very capable and qualified in my ear telling me I could do it, even when I didn't always feel like I could.

2017

This was Charmer's year you guys. Starting our journey with WSH in 2016 changed everything! We kept up with lessons over the winter and early spring, and I put Charmer into pro training for 2 months which was one of the best decisions of my life. ❤️ He excelled being ridden by the pros for a bit and I improved leaps and bounds as I continued lessons with him. We ran XC in August of 2017 together, two round of BN and it was hands down the most memorable experience of my life. I still remember every single footfall of that course. And the face-splitting smile that came across my face as we crossed the finish line. 🥰

2018

It was borderline impossible to choose just ONE photo from this year. So many things happened. Wonder came into my life, and also left this year. Charmer got into the most fit shape he had been since I'd owned him, but also ended up getting a well deserved winter off. Banner fell into my lap in the most wonderful way imaginable, in a time where I never would have even thought I'd own him. But the memory I had to choose as the best for this year was when we made it to the Karen O'Connor clinic in October 2018. A once in a lifetime experience for most people, and an absolute bucket list dream of mine. Banner proved to me this weekend over and over again that he was the partner I'd dreamed of having. Listening to Karen's harsh but wise words of wisdom as well as her kind, complimentary words for us both was absolutely everything I could have hoped for and more.

2019

2019 has held it's fair share of ups and downs but learning and growing with Banner has been such a pleasure this year. Charmer got to enjoy life as a pasture pony for most of the year as I learned to grow more as a rider. His goofy faces and snuggles were all I really needed from him, although we did manage to hit a lesson and do some stuff as well! Banner gave me confidence beyond what I ever thought possible following my accident in 2015. It was all new territory to him and yet he was patient and kind to me as I fumbled my way along to remember how to ride the big jumps again. We managed to ride nearly the whole (local) season at Novice which is something I didn't even dream of doing in recent years since my lack of confidence.

All in all, it has been a decade full of ups and downs, and lots of different horses have come and gone and influenced my life so much. 10 years ago, I never would have dreamed I would be where I am now. I cannot wait for another 10 years, hopefully filled with both of my two perfect bay kiddos, and many more wonderful memories and experiences. ❤️

See ya later 2010s.
It's been real 👋

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saddle Woes & Jumping Ponies

I'm definitely still in a bit of a weird headspace, and obviously still not getting back to real consistency on the blog just yet, but hey, some posts are better than none, right? I'm not exaggerating when I say this canter is an actual dream to ride. All 3 ponies got chiropractic work from my vet a week and a half ago, and she confirmed a fear for me regarding Banner - his lovely Devoucoux saddle doesn't fit. Awesome. Its hitting his scapula, and even with quite a few weeks out of the saddle recently, he still had a lot of residual soreness along his scapula. Luckily I haven't been able to ride 3 ponies lately anyways, so he was on the backburner regardless so it doesn't change much in our immediate plans, but its never fun to know you have to sell a saddle/change plans.  My CWD on V (usually using a half pad, but was testing the fit without) I've got a few different ideas on what I plan to do with selling his current saddle/what I plan to replace it with. I

The Best Horse in All the Lands

Here's the post about my main man, Charmer, from the weekend with my trainer!! I'll go ahead and spoil the ending right now - he is perfect and I don't deserve him.  After where I left off with V (end of yesterday's post) I felt really disheartened when I climbed into the tack on Charmer. He's not exactly known for being the easiest  ride on XC and I sort of mentally was beating myself into a pulp for no good reason. After a good number of comments regarding my leg/balance on V, I was just really feeling like I sucked and had no business being out there. It didn't help that this year has been a complete crapshoot for me and XC and this was only my third time out on Charmer all year.  I halfheartedly warmed him up while thinking we might just not even jump anything. He came out his good ol' dragon self and I was thinking "I don't even have the energy to manage him right now, and I don't deserve to be here anyways". It wasn't a great head

Organization

So, as most of you know (the 3 of you that probably even read this blog haha), I keep my horses at home. Which is amazing ! But it has also opened up a world of changes. For the first time, I am 100% in charge of my horse's care. Only about 6 weeks after Charmer moved home, I rethought his entire diet and we took practically a 180* turn. His hay got switched. Grain got switched. I changed a few supplements for short term use that I have now cut out. I think the result is him looking and feeling better than ever.  Old picture. Cutest expression ever. But along with being 100% in charge of my horse's care, means I am also 100% in charge of giving everything a place, making sure everything stays organized, and being always vigilant about making sure my horse has enough of everything he needs. Which honestly, I quite enjoy! But it is a lot of organizing. I make kind of DIY Smartpaks in baggies for both of my horses (although I'm really intrigued to try  this i