Skip to main content

Sizzling Summer Show: Day 2!

Heading into day 2, Banner & I were sitting in 1st place! But to be honest, I had no expectation of keeping that placing or anything, and I was not worried about the placing we got at this show. Right now at Novice, XC is sort of our weakest phase. Banner eats up the galloping fences (rolltops, tables, steeplechase, etc.), but some of the tougher questions (1/2 coffins, trakehners, etc.) still back him off a bit at this height.


Unfortunately for the barn that puts on these shows, their tractor broke, which didn't allow them to move any of the XC fences, so our cross country course was the same as it was in July. Part of me thought "whomp whomp..." because this didn't mean really any new lines or new challenges (they did add one up bank out of water, but that was it). But then I thought about it and actually this was perfect! I knew the mistakes I made last time and we had done some XC schools to improve our weird ditch issue. The course being exactly the same gave me an opportunity to improve on our last show. 

We rode a bit later in the morning this time (which I appreciated since it was about 60* at the time we rode last time). So I watched a few rides before getting on, and then I went to warm up B. I apparently had not defused the bomb the day before, and Banner was definitely still a bit forward and excitable with very little half halting ability. I accepted the horse I had that day and decided to still follow the plan I had made for myself.


My #1 goal was to get over all the fences on the first try this time out! I was going to ride positively, forward, and borderline a bit aggressively at the couple of things I knew would make him take a double take (2 ditches and the big trakehner). We also found out a good new trick for the fences that works for him at the fences that back him off. I have to rebalance him earlier, and harder (even bring him back to a trot for a step or two if needed), and then ride like my life depends on us getting over that question. It worked very well for him! I'm sure part of that is that I ride more positively to the base of the fence when I do this. 

We wandered over to the start box and I knew I had quite a bit of horse on my hands, but I was hoping his boldness would work in my favor. We left the start box and went to our first fence, the faux trakehner. They opted to have our first fence out be the smaller trakehner this time and I really appreciated that! Banner was forward and bold to the fence, he considered giving it a little peek a few strides out so I gave him a little tap with the whip and he locked right on!


The up bank and down bank went perfectly fine and we got a nice little gallop to the A-frame. I had to fight pretty hard to get a solid half halt to get him balanced back up for this fence, but he eventually gave in and listened to me. I was pleasantly surprised that he was much less wiggly this time around as we headed to each fence. He locked on to almost every single one and he knew what his job was. 


Over the little triple log, into the water, and out over the upbank this time! We got a bit of a funky stride to the upbank, but Banner loves banks & water so he didn't mind. He got a bit gungho as we headed to the rolltop and we had a discussion about our brakes again. Again he listened and all was well, and this gave me several really nice jumps after this little discussion!


After the rolltop was our first half coffin on course. Smaller ditch to a log rolltop. I brought him back almost to a trot and then I rode my butt off towards that ditch. He popped over it without any issue, and just like that we were halfway through the course, with a much more positive experience for both of us so far! Next on course was the big trakehner, which was probably the thing I was the most concerned about. 


Again, I did my big rebalance and he did actually break to trot here, but I rode like someone had lit me on fire and Banner locked right on to the jump. He really appreciated my extra commitment to the big fences - it allowed him to trust me and understand these fences were okay. 

His favorite jump was next, the big steeplechase style fence. For some reason he really likes this fence and always jumps it very well! Coming back home was the next half coffin. A slatted log to the big ditch. He took a peek at the ditch but one small tap of the whip got him right over it. And luckily we had no stopping of forward motion, so no 20 points this time!


Banner loves anything that has to do with water, so he really enjoyed our next bit. Down bank to a triple log about 1 stride out of the water, circle back around and splash right through the water and over the hanging log out of water! We managed to actually get a decent stride to the hanging log this time and not leave out an entire stride like last time (whoops!). 


The next two fences are sort of in a line, the rolltop coming back home to a table. Unfortunately for me we have done this line a few times and Banner knew where we were going and got a bit too forward and bold. I had to fight him a bit in between these two fences but I got enough of a balance back that we made it out just fine!

Final fence over the bigger faux trakehner and we were done! A few trot steps and a lot of unfortunate time spent fighting my horse for his half halts cost us some time, and we dropped to 4th place with 6 time faults. Even still, I was thrilled!! I would have appreciated a bit more responsiveness from my horse when I asked for brakes, but we jumped everything and we jumped everything fairly well! 


Next time, hopefully there will be a different course, and I can see if my horse will actually be nice & responsive to me on our next time out!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saddle Woes & Jumping Ponies

I'm definitely still in a bit of a weird headspace, and obviously still not getting back to real consistency on the blog just yet, but hey, some posts are better than none, right? I'm not exaggerating when I say this canter is an actual dream to ride. All 3 ponies got chiropractic work from my vet a week and a half ago, and she confirmed a fear for me regarding Banner - his lovely Devoucoux saddle doesn't fit. Awesome. Its hitting his scapula, and even with quite a few weeks out of the saddle recently, he still had a lot of residual soreness along his scapula. Luckily I haven't been able to ride 3 ponies lately anyways, so he was on the backburner regardless so it doesn't change much in our immediate plans, but its never fun to know you have to sell a saddle/change plans.  My CWD on V (usually using a half pad, but was testing the fit without) I've got a few different ideas on what I plan to do with selling his current saddle/what I plan to replace it with. I

The Best Horse in All the Lands

Here's the post about my main man, Charmer, from the weekend with my trainer!! I'll go ahead and spoil the ending right now - he is perfect and I don't deserve him.  After where I left off with V (end of yesterday's post) I felt really disheartened when I climbed into the tack on Charmer. He's not exactly known for being the easiest  ride on XC and I sort of mentally was beating myself into a pulp for no good reason. After a good number of comments regarding my leg/balance on V, I was just really feeling like I sucked and had no business being out there. It didn't help that this year has been a complete crapshoot for me and XC and this was only my third time out on Charmer all year.  I halfheartedly warmed him up while thinking we might just not even jump anything. He came out his good ol' dragon self and I was thinking "I don't even have the energy to manage him right now, and I don't deserve to be here anyways". It wasn't a great head

Winter Sucks

 Well. I fell off the grid for like 4 whole months. Whoops. The sad part? Basically nothing all that exciting has happened in FOUR MONTHS. I'm dying y'all. Okay, technically a few semi-fun things have happened, but it has seriously been the dumbest freaking end of fall/winter ever.  Like the day after Christmas, we got snow...and then more...and then more. For reference, I live in the Boise area in Idaho, where yes, we do get snow, but like...a couple inches at a time max , and it usually melts within a few days. And this time, we seriously got probably 8"+ in the span of like 36 hours. Which was so prettty . For like a moment. But now it is freakin February 1st, and I STILL HAVE 2" OF SNOW IN MY ARENA . Because we basically haven't gotten above like 38* since it snowed, which hasn't allowed anything to fully thaw out. Soooo, I haven't ridden since sometime in December. And I'm big-time cranky about it (sorry to literally anyone who has to talk to me b