Skip to main content

Fulfilling Dreams

This weekend, our local barn hosted their first ever true schooling HT. It was a 2-day show, with dressage & SJ on Saturday, and XC on Sunday. Banner and I signed up to do the Beginner Novice!


Our dressage test was mid-morning, and there was a storm threatening all day on Saturday. It was definitely brisk, and it was getting to a few of the horses, but Banner came out true to his unicorn status and warmed up like a champ. We are working on improving his transitions, and he gave me some of his best yet to date. His downwards tend to be a bit abrupt, and his upwards tend to start in the front with his back legs struggling to catch up, but on Saturday we got most of our transitions in great form - fluid and smooth!


He stayed relaxed and rhythmic in our test and gave me some great work. Our upward canter transitions could have been better, and our free walk could have been stretchier, but I was pleased with our test, and excited about the fact that I still think we have so much potential to be even better with more time!


We came out of dressage on a solid score of 31.1, putting us in first place for our division. We had a few hours to kill before SJ, so I killed some time chatting with friends, and perusing the local roaming tack shop (always a dangerous past time). Again, just like the superstar that he is, Banner hung out at the trailer without so much as a peep.


Banner and I did a 2'3" SJ round for warmup & practice, and he jumped like a seasoned pro. The course had some difficult turns and lines, but he took every distance and line exactly like I asked and felt truly incredible! We ended up taking home the blue ribbon in our 2'3" class!


Unfortunately, our 2'6" class was very full, and we sat around for the better part of half an hour between our classes, so he was a bit asleep going into that course, and pulled the first rail. The rest of the round rode well and we are really starting to learn how to bend over fences to get our bending lines to feel more smooth! Our rail in the 2'6" class added 4 faults to our dressage score for the HT, and bumped us down to second place.


We ended the day with a 2'9" round. He put in some great effort and felt like a million bucks. I rode one of the lines poorly (half halting is indeed important if you were wondering!), and we pulled a rail, but still ended up 5th in the class! I was thrilled with how he rode and felt. Super adjustable and responsive over all of the fences. Feels like I am finally starting to truly figure him out!


Sunday was CROSS COUNTRY day!!! I walked the course on Saturday night and it looked super fun and like a perfect balance of challenging and totally doable. Heck, I even took a look at some of the novice fences and they looked like we could have conquered them like no big deal!


Warm up on Sunday was easy and I quit after only popping the warmup fences maybe 6 times. He was doing so well that I didn't feel the need to jump his legs off for no reason. The grass was a little slick so I made sure to note in my own mind to keep our turns wide and loopy to make sure we kept our footing.

Banner continued to impress me with his awesome brain by walking around on a loopy rein for about 20 minutes while horses around him were galloping right and left. But once we left the start box, he was all business. We got an awesome start out of the box and had a great little gallop to the first fence - a simple hanging log with a fake "ditch" under it. Then up the bank and around to a show jump.


Then we popped the table to the rolltop which are both nearing maxed BN height, and Banner couldn't have cared less. He just kept rolling along in a lovely adjustable, forward canter.


Then it was around to a show jump in the far side of the field, and another show jump on a little mound. We splashed through the water with no issue, and popped another simple natural show jump. Then into another small field with a show jump oxer, around to a steeplechase jump! This field was the slickest, and I watched wayyy too many horses slip going around, so I made sure to really slow up the canter here!


There was a super wimpy little faux ditch after that, and I'm 99% sure that Banner stepped right in the black bark that is supposed to resemble a hole in the ground. If you listened hard enough, I could've sworn I heard him laugh at it. This brought us to the final big loop of galloping. An inviting log rolltop to an A-frame coupe. Then a triple log on the far side of the field and a gallop home through the same rolltop to table line, just going back the other way.


We finished up with the same faux ditch (he definitely laughed at it this time around) and a show jump to end the day. We ended up being literally 2 seconds away from being penalized for being too fast (whoops!). He came off the course and wasn't even sweaty or breathing hard. He felt like he could've run it 2 more times without even trying.


I keep thinking he is still out of shape, but he definitely proved me wrong this weekend. He is far more fit than I realized, and is feeling great!


Double clear on XC kept us on our 35.1 score, and ended up winning the class! Banner was one of the few (if not the only) horse in our division to go double clear! This horse has such a heart of gold and I am thrilled to keep learning with him. Now for a few well deserved days off, and a chiropractic appointment for him this week!

I'm thinking he looks good in blue!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Saddle Woes & Jumping Ponies

I'm definitely still in a bit of a weird headspace, and obviously still not getting back to real consistency on the blog just yet, but hey, some posts are better than none, right? I'm not exaggerating when I say this canter is an actual dream to ride. All 3 ponies got chiropractic work from my vet a week and a half ago, and she confirmed a fear for me regarding Banner - his lovely Devoucoux saddle doesn't fit. Awesome. Its hitting his scapula, and even with quite a few weeks out of the saddle recently, he still had a lot of residual soreness along his scapula. Luckily I haven't been able to ride 3 ponies lately anyways, so he was on the backburner regardless so it doesn't change much in our immediate plans, but its never fun to know you have to sell a saddle/change plans.  My CWD on V (usually using a half pad, but was testing the fit without) I've got a few different ideas on what I plan to do with selling his current saddle/what I plan to replace it with. I

The Best Horse in All the Lands

Here's the post about my main man, Charmer, from the weekend with my trainer!! I'll go ahead and spoil the ending right now - he is perfect and I don't deserve him.  After where I left off with V (end of yesterday's post) I felt really disheartened when I climbed into the tack on Charmer. He's not exactly known for being the easiest  ride on XC and I sort of mentally was beating myself into a pulp for no good reason. After a good number of comments regarding my leg/balance on V, I was just really feeling like I sucked and had no business being out there. It didn't help that this year has been a complete crapshoot for me and XC and this was only my third time out on Charmer all year.  I halfheartedly warmed him up while thinking we might just not even jump anything. He came out his good ol' dragon self and I was thinking "I don't even have the energy to manage him right now, and I don't deserve to be here anyways". It wasn't a great head

Organization

So, as most of you know (the 3 of you that probably even read this blog haha), I keep my horses at home. Which is amazing ! But it has also opened up a world of changes. For the first time, I am 100% in charge of my horse's care. Only about 6 weeks after Charmer moved home, I rethought his entire diet and we took practically a 180* turn. His hay got switched. Grain got switched. I changed a few supplements for short term use that I have now cut out. I think the result is him looking and feeling better than ever.  Old picture. Cutest expression ever. But along with being 100% in charge of my horse's care, means I am also 100% in charge of giving everything a place, making sure everything stays organized, and being always vigilant about making sure my horse has enough of everything he needs. Which honestly, I quite enjoy! But it is a lot of organizing. I make kind of DIY Smartpaks in baggies for both of my horses (although I'm really intrigued to try  this i