Skip to main content

Weirdest Horse Sale Ever

So for any of you that follow me on Instagram, you have probably seen the new face that has graced my feed. Yep, I picked up another horse. Apparently I'm crazy (although I believe that was already established...). Anyways, I have been looking for a second horse to be a buddy to Charmer for a little while now. I made a very casual ISO post in some local forums, and got tons of responses. I pursued a couple of them halfheartedly, one I was very interested in but didn't work out, and then finally a cute little OTTB. I wanted to find something that was in my area, and cheap. Since Charmer is my main horse, and I have no intention of changing that anytime soon, I had minimal requirements for a second horse. I went through lots and lots of Facebook messages, but most of the horses just weren't right. I pursued one pretty eagerly, but it just didn't end up working out. For about a week, I was conversing with a really nice lady who lived about 5.5 hours away from me. She had a cute OTTB that she and her daughters had been riding somewhat, and she hadn't put him on the market yet. They were just tentatively looking for a home for him, but in no rush to sell.


Unfortunately, his price was out of my current budget (see poor college student). And he was further away from me than I ideally wanted to drive, but wasn't out of the realm of possibility. So we kept talking and she told me tons and tons about him, and I lapped up all the information. I got lots of photos and a few videos from her, and she explained the good, the bad, and the ugly about him. And it just didn't really phase me. A lot of it is pretty typical track behavior, and he seems to have a personality that can take a joke. The more we messaged each other back and forth, the more it just seemed like the perfect match.

After a little bit more messaging, we finally found a price compromise that worked for her family, and worked for my budget too. Then we set up a date for me to come see him, and likely take him home. We wanted to be sure it seemed like a good match, but based on the information given from both parties, it seemed like it couldn't be better!

As the date got closer, I got more excited. It wasn't a done deal by any means, but I was definitely twitterpated (if you don't know what this word means, go watch Bambi). I spent a couple days getting together a list and packing up the trailer, so I could have everything he needed. Then the day before we were supposed to go and get him, my heart sank. It seemed like it wasn't going to work out. I had to leave my area by approx 5am in order to get back with him before dark, but that meant I was getting into their area around 10:30am, and they had a lesson scheduled! It was too late for them to cancel without getting their money back, and they wouldn't be back at the barn where I needed to pick the horse up until 12:30. I tried my hardest to find out how we could leave around that time, but it just wasn't going to work. And my current work schedule would prevent me from going up that way for at least a month. It was going to have to be Saturday or not at all.

Suddenly, his owner made a suggestion. Something no one would ever normally do. She gave me the address of the barn and offered that I could go up and meet him without her, and if I liked him, put him in the trailer, and we would meet up afterward to exchange money, and sign a bill of sale. I stared at the message for a little while, processing it. There didn't seem to be any downside. His family could go to their lesson. I could follow my original plan of arriving around 10:30. After double checking with my road trip buddy (my awesome dad), we went ahead with this plan. His owner and I acknowledged that this had to be the strangest possible horse sale in history.

Late Friday night, I received a message from his family that her girls were heartbroken about seeing him go, but glad it was going to be to a good home. They told their mom to tell me that his favorite treats were peppermints.


So of course, I promptly drove to the closest Walmart and got peppermints. I already had carrots in the trailer, but I couldn't go without his favorite treat! And we have basically 0 treats around my house other than carrots because Charmer downright will not eat anything else. A giant box of peppermints. The girls were thrilled. Of course while I was at Walmart, I snagged a few road trip snacks as well.

Right on schedule, we pulled out of our drive at 5:03am on Saturday morning. The drive was easy and uneventful. Idaho is having an unseasonably warm winter, and it made the drive beautiful. Normally most of the drive would have had snow or ice, but with some temps in the 50s for the previous 3 days, most of the snow had melted, until we were within 30 minutes of his home. We made great time, especially hauling the trailer (even if it was empty), and pulled into his home at 10:28am. His face was the first face I saw. Hanging over the gate before I even hit the ground. He has an unmistakable blaze, and I had seen enough photos to know it was him.


I stuffed him full of as many peppermints as I could fit in my pocket (which was probably like 20). I felt his legs, gave him a quick jog, and he seemed to have fairly clean, tight legs, save for one small bump on the front of his left hind. I fussed with it and pressed it and he didn't seem to even notice. And he was obviously sound when I jogged him out. So I threw some BoT quick wraps on him, and loaded him in the trailer. He checked out the trailer for about 2 minutes, and then leapt in and chowed down on some alfalfa in the hay bag.

His family had told me he loaded great, but tended to be nervous in the trailer, but he seemed quiet and happy, and just kept chowing down on alfalfa. I called his owners and we set up a place to meet. We found a gas station just off of an exit ramp with easy trailer access. I pulled in and waited for them to arrive. Took less than 5 minutes and they were there. The four girls all crowded the trailer and gave him tons of love and said their goodbyes, and their mom and I handled the bill of sale and money. Once we were done, we chatted for a few minutes, and then she said her goodbyes to him as well. They clearly loved him a lot.

We got back on the road, and had another 4 hours of uneventful driving. My favorite kind. He shifted in the trailer twice, let out a half-hearted kick once, but other than that was quiet as could be. He finished off all of his alfalfa by the time we arrived home, and looked more than ready to get off the trailer.

He looked around, with a face that said "where's all the snow??". It was almost 15* warmer at home than where we picked him up. He looked around, and hopped off the trailer. I walked him around for a few minutes, then took off his quick wraps. Then we took him to the arena to check out his "home" for the next couple days while he got acquainted with our horses over the fence. He walked the boundaries well, paid attention, and then I set him loose.


He took about 2 steps in the arena before stopping and dropping to the ground to roll. Our arena has nice soft sand, and it was a little wet, so it was perfect for rolling in. After a good roll, he took off galloping around the arena, throwing in a lot of bucks. Charmer joined in on his side of the fence too. After about 10 minutes of being complete idiots, and both of them being pretty sweaty, they decided that was a lot of work and calmed down. 

I fed both of them, grained them, and made sure the new kid had water and went inside for the night. I woke up once around 1:00am and went out to double check on both of them (perks of living on the property!) and all was well. Fed and watered again in the morning and everyone was happy campers. And he got to meet both of the senior horses over the fence as well with minimal drama. 

Since it was such a drama free introduction over the fence, I decided to put him with Charmer on Sunday night, once the senior horses get separated. I spent some time walking him around the fenceline, and especially the electric section of the pasture, and then set him loose. A little more galloping, and then finally everyone settled down again, ate some alfalfa, drank some water, and got some mash-grain. And by this morning, everyone was still in the right place, so that's a good sign. Hoping we can keep it up, and everyone will stay happy and quiet. 

I'm pleased to say it seems like this guy will be a perfect little match for us. Even if getting him happened to be the weirdest horse sale ever. 


So this is Wonder. His JC name was BrainWash. He is 9yo (as of January 1st), and raced 23 times, and won over 160k. Seems to have a decent pedigree as well (although I don't know a whole lot about racehorse pedigrees). All in all, I'm pretty excited about him, and can't wait to see what he is like under saddle - I've already seen that he is pretty athletic!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saddle Woes & Jumping Ponies

I'm definitely still in a bit of a weird headspace, and obviously still not getting back to real consistency on the blog just yet, but hey, some posts are better than none, right? I'm not exaggerating when I say this canter is an actual dream to ride. All 3 ponies got chiropractic work from my vet a week and a half ago, and she confirmed a fear for me regarding Banner - his lovely Devoucoux saddle doesn't fit. Awesome. Its hitting his scapula, and even with quite a few weeks out of the saddle recently, he still had a lot of residual soreness along his scapula. Luckily I haven't been able to ride 3 ponies lately anyways, so he was on the backburner regardless so it doesn't change much in our immediate plans, but its never fun to know you have to sell a saddle/change plans.  My CWD on V (usually using a half pad, but was testing the fit without) I've got a few different ideas on what I plan to do with selling his current saddle/what I plan to replace it with. I

Organization

So, as most of you know (the 3 of you that probably even read this blog haha), I keep my horses at home. Which is amazing ! But it has also opened up a world of changes. For the first time, I am 100% in charge of my horse's care. Only about 6 weeks after Charmer moved home, I rethought his entire diet and we took practically a 180* turn. His hay got switched. Grain got switched. I changed a few supplements for short term use that I have now cut out. I think the result is him looking and feeling better than ever.  Old picture. Cutest expression ever. But along with being 100% in charge of my horse's care, means I am also 100% in charge of giving everything a place, making sure everything stays organized, and being always vigilant about making sure my horse has enough of everything he needs. Which honestly, I quite enjoy! But it is a lot of organizing. I make kind of DIY Smartpaks in baggies for both of my horses (although I'm really intrigued to try  this i

The Best Horse in All the Lands

Here's the post about my main man, Charmer, from the weekend with my trainer!! I'll go ahead and spoil the ending right now - he is perfect and I don't deserve him.  After where I left off with V (end of yesterday's post) I felt really disheartened when I climbed into the tack on Charmer. He's not exactly known for being the easiest  ride on XC and I sort of mentally was beating myself into a pulp for no good reason. After a good number of comments regarding my leg/balance on V, I was just really feeling like I sucked and had no business being out there. It didn't help that this year has been a complete crapshoot for me and XC and this was only my third time out on Charmer all year.  I halfheartedly warmed him up while thinking we might just not even jump anything. He came out his good ol' dragon self and I was thinking "I don't even have the energy to manage him right now, and I don't deserve to be here anyways". It wasn't a great head