Skip to main content

Long Time No See

I'm not sure many people followed this blog before, and I'm sure after a year+ hiatus, there is almost no one who will be reading it now. But I've always enjoyed keeping up on Instagram or blogging as my own personal diary to look back on over time anyways, and I think now is a good time to get back into it. That being said, who knows if I'll be able to keep up on it this time, but I really hope I do.

Things are different in almost every possible way since I last wrote on this blog.  In early 2020, Banner was still my main mount, Charmer was just barely coming back into work, and covid was just beginning. Early that year, I lost my long time trainer and good friend when she moved back home to Oregon. I still am lucky enough to see her intermittently since then, but seeing her once every few months is definitely vastly different than weekly lessons. 

An early XC school in 2021 with Charmer
(Training Rolltop)

I'm a little mad at myself for not blogging the last half of 2020 though, because it turned out to be a pretty big year. After a brief period of feeling very lost after Trainer C left, I took a chance on a friend running a small training business, and it turned out to be a really good thing for me! We had regularly taken lessons together over the years, and she knew my horses pretty well, but I was definitely one of the most educated of her clients at the time. It turned out to be an incredible relationship though, and I had some very cool firsts with her help toward the end of last year. First out of state trip with Charmer, first big clinic with him, and culminating in our first recognized event together. 

XC Schooling at Skyline (Utah)

In August of 2020, while I was away at our big clinic in Washington, we also discovered that my Mom's breast cancer had metastasized, and was now in her brain. Some unfortunate medical procedures after that led to her having rapid onset dementia, and for really all of 2021 she has required 24/7 care from my Dad and I. Its been a devastating turn of events to watch her waste away over the last year, as she now approaches her final days, but on a good note, it allowed me to spend a lot of time with her, and I was able to quit a job that I hated and was draining me mentally. Life definitely has thrown some pretty big curveballs at me, and my family, over this last year, but it definitely reminds you how precious every day is. 

A goofy, sweet photo with C in Cali

Back to a less depressing, and more horsey note: in October of 2020, I trekked down to Temecula, CA with Charmer to ride in the end of the year event at Galway Downs. It was HUGE and a pretty overwhelming first recognized, especially since it is their international event, so they were running everything from BN-4*, and there was something like 600 horses stabled on the property? We were entered in the Novice Amateur division, and actually had a pretty good start, on a 30.7 to sit in the middle of the pack after dressage. An unfortunate and slightly cheap rail at our first fence in the show jump gave us an extra 4. but we stayed solidly in the middle of the pack. 

Pretty sure we aren't maxed at Novice though

Cross country ended up falling apart for us in the warmup, as the galloping horses and intense environment got the better of my lovely partner. Once on course, he settled a bit, but unfortunately I definitely did not have enough bit to safely have the forward, flowing round we wanted. We had a lazy refusal at a small corner where I didn't ride well, and a jump judge counted one of my circles as a runout (with or without this, we ended in last, so it wasn't worth fighting it or anything), but we ended on a number and not a letter, and we know what to do for next time. After Galway, I had hoped for a full season, or at the very least a few more events, during the 2021 season, but my Mom's condition declined more rapidly this year than originally expected, and competitive riding was entirely put on hold for this year.

Not that 2021 has been entirely bad though! We were fortunate enough to add two new fur kiddos to the circus, and they are the first female animals that I've owned in my adult life - I've always picked boys until now!

Kira, our currently 6m old Doberman puppy.
Purebred, all natural, keeping ears & tail intact!

"On the Verge", aka Verge or V
My newest addition, 15.3, 4yo OTTB mare

Kira is an absolute menace, but so sweet and cuddly despite being a very wild child. Verge is proving to be everything I hoped for and more in a young horse prospect (and yes, I may have already picked out two different potential baby daddies for her...) with a stellar brain and some killer gaits.

Plus an adorable jump

And Charmer and I were able to clinic with legendary Karen O'Connor in June of this year and had an absolute blast. He's turned into a pretty great partner when I need him to show up, and his jump form has cleaned up a lot as well, now its mostly a game of managing his anxiety and maintaining his balance and topline all the time. 

Literally picture perfect with KOC
over a Training chevron

Banner headed out on a lease earlier this year, that unfortunately crashed and burned in a very short period of time, so he's back and we are working on rekindling all of our partnership and training. And I'm toying with the idea of attempting some pure dressage with him to try and pursue my Bronze medal, but we shall see how that plays out. 

Currently just working on relaxation and softness again

That was a long post to catch up on a pretty busy year+ since I was last regularly on here, but I hope to be more regular about it and have this place to keep putting my thoughts and experiences out there to look back on someday. 

Comments

  1. That is a lot! Happy to see you back at the blogging, though. I hope your Mom has a peaceful transition and the horses bring you comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still here! Good to see you still blogging and I hope you have time to write every now and again, I'm looking forward to seeing how Verge goes for you! I'm really sorry about your mom - that's incredibly tough. Hugs <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Saddle Woes & Jumping Ponies

I'm definitely still in a bit of a weird headspace, and obviously still not getting back to real consistency on the blog just yet, but hey, some posts are better than none, right? I'm not exaggerating when I say this canter is an actual dream to ride. All 3 ponies got chiropractic work from my vet a week and a half ago, and she confirmed a fear for me regarding Banner - his lovely Devoucoux saddle doesn't fit. Awesome. Its hitting his scapula, and even with quite a few weeks out of the saddle recently, he still had a lot of residual soreness along his scapula. Luckily I haven't been able to ride 3 ponies lately anyways, so he was on the backburner regardless so it doesn't change much in our immediate plans, but its never fun to know you have to sell a saddle/change plans.  My CWD on V (usually using a half pad, but was testing the fit without) I've got a few different ideas on what I plan to do with selling his current saddle/what I plan to replace it with. I

The Best Horse in All the Lands

Here's the post about my main man, Charmer, from the weekend with my trainer!! I'll go ahead and spoil the ending right now - he is perfect and I don't deserve him.  After where I left off with V (end of yesterday's post) I felt really disheartened when I climbed into the tack on Charmer. He's not exactly known for being the easiest  ride on XC and I sort of mentally was beating myself into a pulp for no good reason. After a good number of comments regarding my leg/balance on V, I was just really feeling like I sucked and had no business being out there. It didn't help that this year has been a complete crapshoot for me and XC and this was only my third time out on Charmer all year.  I halfheartedly warmed him up while thinking we might just not even jump anything. He came out his good ol' dragon self and I was thinking "I don't even have the energy to manage him right now, and I don't deserve to be here anyways". It wasn't a great head

Organization

So, as most of you know (the 3 of you that probably even read this blog haha), I keep my horses at home. Which is amazing ! But it has also opened up a world of changes. For the first time, I am 100% in charge of my horse's care. Only about 6 weeks after Charmer moved home, I rethought his entire diet and we took practically a 180* turn. His hay got switched. Grain got switched. I changed a few supplements for short term use that I have now cut out. I think the result is him looking and feeling better than ever.  Old picture. Cutest expression ever. But along with being 100% in charge of my horse's care, means I am also 100% in charge of giving everything a place, making sure everything stays organized, and being always vigilant about making sure my horse has enough of everything he needs. Which honestly, I quite enjoy! But it is a lot of organizing. I make kind of DIY Smartpaks in baggies for both of my horses (although I'm really intrigued to try  this i