Skip to main content

2018 Goals

I have been thinking for nearly a month now about what my goals are for 2018. When Charmer and I went into 2017, I had some really clear, focused goals that I wanted to achieve. I was having huge confidence issues at that time, and I felt stuck. So I came up with some goals that at the time felt like a reach, but turned out to be just the push I needed to have a fantastic year. A lot of it was "you and your horse should be perfectly capable of this, you are just a chicken" type goals. Which was pretty accurate for where I was emotionally. This year, I feel like I am heading into 2018 with about 1000x more confidence, and oddly enough, that has made coming up with goals significantly harder. There is less "get over yourself and just ride" goals that I can make, and I don't know if we are ready to make the step up to bigger levels or more complicated things yet. So here it goes for my 2018 goals. Who knows if we will reach even half of them! But goals keep me focused, and I want to keep the same trajectory from last year. So we are going to keep going onwards and upwards this year!


1. Ride at least 3 times per week (weather permitting)
I have an arena in my backyard for goodness sake. I might as well get some good use out of it! I've always been really good about keeping up with riding several times a week, but the end of 2017 just got busy and riding took a back burner. This year, I am hoping to get Charmer and I back into a program and make sure we are keeping to a strict 3+ times a week riding schedule. Hopefully this goal will be an easy one for us to check off!

2. Attend at least 3 schooling shows, and compete at 2'6" or higher
Charmer and I got into a really good place with our jumping, both schooling and showing, in 2017, and I am hoping to continue that into 2018! The barn that I train at holds approx. 5 schooling shows every year, so I am going to force myself to hit at least 3 of them! They are affordable shows, supporting the facility that I love, and I need to make sure I keep getting Charmer out and about! And 2'6" is a completely doable height for both of us, I just need to remember that.

3. Ride our first 3' course, either in a lesson or schooling show
We jumped a handful of single 3' fences last year, but for some reason the 3" between 2'9" and 3' just seems to be tricky for us me. If I can keep up on riding several times per week, and lessoning semi-regularly this year, this should be an attainable goal for us in 2018!

4. Continue taking regular lessons (finances permitting)
Now that I have finally found a barn family that I really love, I need to make sure to keep up on my lesson schedule. I probably won't start taking lessons again until late February or early March, just due to the weather, but lessons helped a lot with my confidence last year. And my trainers usually seem to have more faith in my riding than I do - so lessons tend to help me push my own personal boundaries.

5. Ride at least 1 dressage test in a schooling show
Dressage in a show setting just didn't end up happening last year. Obviously I was practicing dressage at home, but we just never made it around to doing a test. I've only ever done one dressage test on Charmer, and we did not get particularly good marks - he was a giraffe, and I was tense - but we deserved the score we got at the time. I would like to do another test this year and see what kind of comments we would receive now (even if we do have to do it in a jump saddle).

6. Audit (or attend) at least 2 clinics
I rolled this goal over from last year, because I found it to be very beneficial. I really enjoy auditing clinicians and seeing who I like, who I don't like, and principles to take away from both. I adored auditing Karen O'Connor last year, and hope to audit her again this year! Maybe someday I'll ride with her - but that doesn't seem like an immediate option.

7. Continue working on Charmer's ability to be ridden bridleless W/T/C
This is a big one. Now that I have Charmer at home, I think this may be a little easier to attain. I want to have something "fun" that Charmer and I can do that breaks up some of the monotony of our workouts. Most people do trail rides in order to do this, but I don't tend to like trail rides all that much. I'll do conditioning rides and such, but especially with where my house is located, arena rides are far easier to do, and Charmer doesn't really seem to like trail rides either. We are happy to leave the arena to go on a trot or gallop, but walking? Not so much. Bridleless is a great option for us that gives us some other options to try in our rides, without leaving the arena.

8. Save for a dressage saddle
I'm sure I will not be able to actually get a dressage saddle in 2018, but I'd like to start saving for one. It's been years since I have had a dressage saddle that actually fit the horse I was riding, and now is no different. I own a beautiful dressage saddle. It does not come even close to fitting my horse. Charmer loves his CWD 2G jump saddle- so I have to find something with a similar build. The problem I keep running into is that no dressage saddle I've tried clears his shoulders. This year, while I am saving up for a dressage saddle, I am also probably going to be researching what kind will actually fit him once I have any money for that.

9. Get a second horse
Charmer currently lives with 2 horses, but they are both older, a little crotchety and fully retired. And neither of them ever wants to play with him, they would generally rather just bite him. I'm hoping to get him a friend this year that may be a little lower energy than he is, but is still actually willing to participate in some shenanigans with him. Poor kiddo is so bored and just wants a friend to hang out with, so this year we will hopefully find him a nice cute friend! Potentially another OTTB, or it might end up being some smaller horse that the family/friends can ride. Since Charmer is my main horse, I have very few requirements on what this second horse will be, I just want my big kid to get a fun friend!

I hope you all had a very Happy New Year! Bring it on 2018!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saddle Woes & Jumping Ponies

I'm definitely still in a bit of a weird headspace, and obviously still not getting back to real consistency on the blog just yet, but hey, some posts are better than none, right? I'm not exaggerating when I say this canter is an actual dream to ride. All 3 ponies got chiropractic work from my vet a week and a half ago, and she confirmed a fear for me regarding Banner - his lovely Devoucoux saddle doesn't fit. Awesome. Its hitting his scapula, and even with quite a few weeks out of the saddle recently, he still had a lot of residual soreness along his scapula. Luckily I haven't been able to ride 3 ponies lately anyways, so he was on the backburner regardless so it doesn't change much in our immediate plans, but its never fun to know you have to sell a saddle/change plans.  My CWD on V (usually using a half pad, but was testing the fit without) I've got a few different ideas on what I plan to do with selling his current saddle/what I plan to replace it with. I

Organization

So, as most of you know (the 3 of you that probably even read this blog haha), I keep my horses at home. Which is amazing ! But it has also opened up a world of changes. For the first time, I am 100% in charge of my horse's care. Only about 6 weeks after Charmer moved home, I rethought his entire diet and we took practically a 180* turn. His hay got switched. Grain got switched. I changed a few supplements for short term use that I have now cut out. I think the result is him looking and feeling better than ever.  Old picture. Cutest expression ever. But along with being 100% in charge of my horse's care, means I am also 100% in charge of giving everything a place, making sure everything stays organized, and being always vigilant about making sure my horse has enough of everything he needs. Which honestly, I quite enjoy! But it is a lot of organizing. I make kind of DIY Smartpaks in baggies for both of my horses (although I'm really intrigued to try  this i

The Best Horse in All the Lands

Here's the post about my main man, Charmer, from the weekend with my trainer!! I'll go ahead and spoil the ending right now - he is perfect and I don't deserve him.  After where I left off with V (end of yesterday's post) I felt really disheartened when I climbed into the tack on Charmer. He's not exactly known for being the easiest  ride on XC and I sort of mentally was beating myself into a pulp for no good reason. After a good number of comments regarding my leg/balance on V, I was just really feeling like I sucked and had no business being out there. It didn't help that this year has been a complete crapshoot for me and XC and this was only my third time out on Charmer all year.  I halfheartedly warmed him up while thinking we might just not even jump anything. He came out his good ol' dragon self and I was thinking "I don't even have the energy to manage him right now, and I don't deserve to be here anyways". It wasn't a great head